SEND Report: Park View Community School.


Manchester is having a visit from Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission to look at how Manchester has supported children and young people with Special Educational Needs and their families during the Covid-19 pandemic. Ofsted and CQC would really like to hear your views.

SEND = Special Educational Needs/Disabilities

Our job is to help your child achieve the very best they can at school. This page is to inform you of the types of support available for your child at Park View Community School. It will help you understand who can help and how this support can be accessed.

Support for your child at Park View Community School.

All pupils in school receive quality first teaching. This means that a range of teaching and learning styles are used and that appropriate learning objectives are set for all children with a curriculum matched to their needs.

All year groups in Foundation Stage and Key Stage One are supported by a teaching assistant. Teaching assistant support in Key Stage Two is targeted at particular groups of children and planned by the Inclusion Lead. Throughout the school, teaching assistant support is targeted at particular groups of children and planned by the Inclusion Lead.

At Park View the progress and attainment of all pupils is reviewed every half term by the Assessment Coordinator and the Inclusion Lead at which time provision may

be adjusted to meet identified needs. You will be informed about your child’s general progress and targets throughout the year by attending parents evening , SEN review meeting (if necessary) and via the full school report in Summer. If a child continues to have difficulty after intervention or has a high level of difficulty when they join us, they may be considered to have special educational needs (SEN) and placed on the SEN register.Parents will be informed of this.

How common is a Special Educational Need?

Approximately one in five children will have special educational needs (SEN) at some time during their school career. Children with SEN have learning difficulties and/or physical disabilities (D) which make it harder for them to learn than most children of the same age. They will need extra support or different help e.g. modified tasks,extra time or breaks in formal assessments. Schools and other agencies can help most children overcome their difficulties quickly and easily. But a few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.

This means they may have difficulty with:

- some or all of the work in school

- reading, writing or mathematics

- understanding information

- expressing themselves

- understanding others

- organising themselves

- sensory perception or physical mobility

- managing their behaviour

- making friends or relating to adults

At Park View every effort is taken to ensure transition times are successfully managed.  Additional visits are also arranged to re-assure pupils and parents.


SEN stages and terminology.

The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice 2014 gives guidance to schools in meeting the needs of pupils. It sets out how help should be given in a step-by-step approach. You will be consulted at all stages of this graduated approach and staff will inform you of the additional work they do with your child. Class teachers will assess your child to identify their strengths, needs and the extra help they require. They will discuss this with you and decide on next steps.

Statement of SEN/ Education Health and Care Plan

If your child’s needs are complex or severe we may suggest that we ask the Local Authority for a Statutory Assessment. This document will describe your child’s SEN and the special help they should receive. Statements usually involve the Local Authority providing extra resources to help your child. These could include money, staff time, special equipment and attendance at a school with specialist resourced support. This additional provision will be reviewed annually or sooner if required and would include parent, teacher, SENDCO and pupil.

Since September 2014, all children and young people from age 0-25, who have significant special educational needs will undergo an Education Health and Care (EHC) Assessment (unless their parents, carers or the young person opt out of the new system). This will lead to an EHC Plan instead of a Statement of SEN.For children and young people who already have a Statement of SEN, the transfer of Statements into EHC Plans will be a gradual process. If you would like to know what provision is in place for your child or if you have any concerns that your child has some additional needs please speak to your child’s class teacher.

You are also very welcome to make an appointment with our Inclusion Lead, Miss Lewis. Appointments can be made through the school office (0161 519 8562). Further information can be found on the this website regarding policies and school events. For specific policies relating to SEND and Inclusion, please scroll down to the button of this page and click on the relevant link.


Who can help?

We have a highly experienced team of staff who may be involved in supporting your child at Park View. These include your child’s teacher, who will always make sure that tasks set are appropriate and accessible for your child. Teachers are available to you before and after school. Please contact the school office to make an appointment to see your child's teacher. Other adults who may support your child are Teaching Assistants, who support groups and individual children with their learning as well as whole classes when necessary. The Inclusion Lead (Miss Lewis) leads and co-ordiantes the provision of SEND in school is the main point of contact for parents. Sometimes school may commission Specialist Support to work with identified children with a particular focus e.g. Speech and LanguageTherapists or Occupational Therapists. To ensure our staff have the skills and knowledge to support children with SEN—there is a programme of ongoing training both in school and elsewhere.

 Consulting with outside parties.

As part of our support for all children in school we have regular opportunities to consult with support services and health agencies through a multi-agency approach which sometimes includes completing the  Early Help Assessment (EHA)  to support the family as well as the pupil. We will discuss the needs of the individual/family in school and plan together the best use of advice and support from other agencies. Professionals who might attend this meeting include the School Nurse who works closely with us and can advise and assess any medical needs. If a care plan is required this would be done in conjunction with the parent/nurse and reviewed annually as a minimum. Our Speech and Language therapist may give advice or complete an assessment for a few children.Our Educational Psychologist may give advice or complete an assessment for a few children. Behaviour Support Professionals are often commissioned to give advice if required and we work with outreach support teams from specialist schools.



At Park View we value the support and feedback from all our stakeholders, we have an active school council and conduct pupil voice activities throughout the year.


If you want advice from professionals outside school you may find the following numbers helpful:

Parent Partnership: 0161 245 7300

SEN families support group: 0161 755 3482

School admissions: 0161 234 7188

School Nurse Service: 0161 230 1835

Manchester Families Service Directory:

You may also find our SEN policy useful.

Please find a link to the Local Authority Local Offer below:


Below is a list of the school SEND and Inclusion policies.  Click on a policy to view or download it.


Contact us

Park View Community Primary School

Varley Street
Miles Platting
M40 7EJ

For queries- Mrs W Heap

Phone: 0161 519 8562

Mobile: 07541 541 408

Headteacher: Ms S Navin

General Enquiries: Mrs W Heap

SEND Enquiries: Miss J Lewis

Chair of Governors: Mrs B Kinch


Email Us >