The National Curriculum for mathematics aims to ensure that all children:
- Become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that children have conceptual understanding and are able to recall and apply their knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- Reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- Can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
From the start of the 2021-22 academic year we have adopted the White Rose Maths Scheme of work to support our learning. The maths overview provides a high level view of the coverage of maths from Reception to Year 6.
Our calculation policies provide clarity on how procedural knowledge (skills) are developed across the school. The calculation policies support a CPA approach (Concrete, Pictorial and Abstract). The concrete and pictorial aspects are important steps to ensure children grasp a firm understanding of maths concepts to enable them to fully understand the abstract methods.
Please use The White Rose Maths home learning videos to support your child's learning at home.
1) Click on the set of lessons for your child’s year group.
2) Watch the video (either on your own or with your child).
3) Find a calm space where your child can work for about 20-30 minutes.
4) Use the video guidance to support your child as they work through a lesson.
www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies- games selected for younger children
www.topmarks.co.uk/- Top Marks - has great literacy and maths games
www.ictgames.com - fun literacy and maths games created by a UK teacher, aimed at KS1 children
oxfordowl.co.uk/maths/primary-maths-age-6-7-year-2 - lots of useful resources for maths in Y2
ttrockstars.com/loginTimes Tables Rockstars is a brilliant way to practice your multiplication number facts that you are starting to learn! Your teacher will provide you with a personal log in.